What do you do if your pet is stung by a bee or wasp?

By Valdette Muller| April 25, 2017 | Blog

Big Eye dog and flying bee. The insect flew up to the dog's muzzle. The dog watches the flight of the bumblebee. dog bite danger

Bees and wasps are a common sight in our gardens and homes, and as most of us can testify to, getting stung can be unavoidable.

This is true of our pets as well, especially due to their curious nature, and tendency to chase anything that moves!

Insect stings are venomous and the pain they cause is not from the initial sting, but rather as the venom infects the area around the puncture wound.

The more stings inflicted, the more venom is injected, and the more poisoned the animal becomes.

If you see that your pet has been stung multiple times, whether you know which insect it was or not, take your pet to a veterinarian immediately!

Stings in the mouth or throat are particularly dangerous, and common as pets tend to investigate with their snouts, so check these areas first.

Bee stings

The bee sting is barbed and are meant to detach from the bee and lodge in the target’s skin, the longer it remains there, the more venom it can inject.anatomy-photo-u1

This also means that bees can only sting once, the danger comes when a swarm of bees attack.

In the case of a bee sting, try to see if the sting is still attached to your pet’s body and try to scrape it off with a finger nail or blunt knife.

Avoid using tweezers to pull out the sting, as this may inadvertently release more venom into the wound.

Wasp stings

Wasps do not have barbed stings, but their stings are considerably more painful, and a single wasp can sting several times.

While multiple stings are very dangerous, normally a single sting will not warrant the need for a veterinarian. However, your pet will still be in pain, particularly if stung in a sensitive area.

What can you do?

To help with the pain and irritation, apply a weak mixture of water and baking soda to the affected area. Apply an ice pack to the inflamed area to reduce the swelling.

Keep a close eye on your pet after they have been stung, sometimes even a single sting can cause swelling which could block airways and hinder breathing.

Pets can also suffer allergic reactions to the stings, with symptoms including weakness and pain, problems with breathing as well as excessive swelling that does not go down.

If you suspect any of these, have a veterinarian look at your pet immediately.Dog-bee-sting

Thankfully, most of the time, stings are little more than an annoyance to our pets, and they do very little to curb curiosity.

Our pets will quickly forget the pain and return to chasing butterflies and other creepy crawlies.

Source: http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/dog-care/routine-care/what-to-do-when-wasp-bee-sting-dog


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *